Friday, August 9, 2013

Booger Soup!

About a month ago, my friend, Diane, told me that her children were not feeling well. She said that she had just put a big pot of "booger (sometimes spelled 'bugger') soup" on to cook. Sounds yummy, doesn't it. She had mentioned this soup to me often in the past, and I knew that it was basically a chicken soup, meant to ease the symptoms of a cold.
Because it seemed that everyone I had talked to that month seemed to have a cold or had children or a spouse with a cold or flu, I decided to do some online research to see how many types of "booger soup" I could find.

There were quite a few recipes listed under that name, and those recipes led me to more of the same type, but called by other names. I, also, learned that researchers at the University of Nebraska had created a chicken soup recipe that, according to their study, really did help relieve colds and flu.




We made Grandma’s Chicken Soup Recipe (above), with a few modifications, and my oldest daughter and I loved it. My younger daughter said it would have been better without all of the vegetables. We chopped the vegetables very fine when we made it, and we left bits of chicken in the soup. We, also, added cayenne pepper and garlic.  Delicious!  And a big help during cold and flu season!

No comments: