Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Working with Passion

My oldest daughter, Kylia, now 22, has been following her passion in work since she was 11 years of age. At that time, her passion was make-up. She decided she wanted to be an Avon Representative, because Avon offered everything she loved. As she was explaining to me why I should sign up as a representative so that she could sell the products, she stated with great enthusiasm, "Mom! It's make-up, clothing and jewelry! Everything I love!" Although she has taken a few breaks, she continues representing Avon, on a part-time basis, today, 11 years later.

When Kylia turned 13, she went to a local coffee shop with a few friends, and called me, while there, to say, "Mom, you've got to see this place. It's the coolest place ever!" The coffee shop was run by a man named Jimmy, who was not only the shop owner, but also, quite an artist. He was busy covering every square inch of the place with paint, mirrors, glitter and unique artifacts he seemed to discover everywhere. He invited the young people to paint with him, and Kylia's passion for Jimmy's Café was ignited. She convinced Jimmy that she could help out at the café, and she did just that with great enthusiasm for 4 years.

When Kylia was 19, she visited me at my weekend job at an art gallery in Peninsula, Ohio. While I worked, she sat outdoors, at the nearby train station, reading. As luck (fate?) would have it, she was offered a job working for the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad. She started by selling tickets, which she thought was really cool, because she worked in an old caboose. It wasn't long before she was working on the train itself, running the café car with passion and enthusiasm. She loved the train!



She had to wake up at 5:00 am every morning to get to work by 6:30 am, but she always bounced out of bed, with a big smile on her face, and announced "I work on a train!!!!" Every day was fun and exciting, even when the work day lasted 12 - 14 hours. She would work until she was exhausted, and then wake up the next morning ready to go again.

One day, when I was working at the gallery, a pleasant couple stopped by to browse. They said they had been on the train, and met my daughter, and that they loved her enthusiasm and friendliness. I told them how she woke up filled with enthusiasm every single morning, and the husband looked at me, and said, "I know what that's like! I love what I do, too, and I just can't wait to get to work."

"Really?" I seldom heard anyone say they were as excited about their work as Kylia was. "What do you do?"

"Concrete! I love it! I hate taking time off when the weekend arrives. I just love what I do!"

"Concrete? Are you serious?" I asked with an amazed expression on my face.

"Oh yes!" the man answered. "Concrete has unlimited possibilities. I can make driveways, buildings, stadiums...so many things. And they last, and they're strong! It's great! And I feel like an artist when I'm working with concrete. I can create all kinds of great patterns and structures with it."

I agree with the concrete guy, and with my daughter: I love what I do! I love learning, and sharing my passion for learning with others! I love when parents tell me that their children and teens are excited about my classes! There's no feeling like it!

There are all kinds of passions, and following those passions can make a huge difference in your life. Think about it! It's never too late!

What's your passion?

No comments: