Friday, August 29, 2008

Does Unschooling Really Work?

When I present workshops on interest-based, student-led learning, there are always skeptical parents who say, "But my children wouldn't do anything if I didn't tell them what to do."

If I explain that my daughters are very self-motivated, because I have always encouraged their curiosity, and modeled inspired learning for them, those same parents shake their heads, and say, "Yes, but my children aren't like yours. My children can't teach themselves.

I was thrilled to watch Sugata Mitra's talk, titled, "Outdoctrination: Society, Children, Technology and Self-Organization in Education, which Professor Mitra delivered at the 2007 LIFT Conference in Geneva, Switzerland.

If you are unsure if children can really teach themselves, watch this video!

No comments: